When it rains in Las Vegas, you might be wondering if gutters can cause roof leaks. Roof gutters are an often overlooked component of your roof here in the desert, but they are critical to your home’s safety. If you neglect your gutters, your home could suffer water damage during a storm. Keeping them maintained is critical to protecting the health of your roof and your home.Can Gutters Cause Roof Leaks?
A gutter's main purpose is to direct rainwater away from your house so it doesn't build up on the roof and damage it. When your gutters become cluttered and clogged with leaves, twigs, dirt, and other debris, the water can pool on your roof and cause leaks and many other issues. Therefore, it’s essential to conduct regular maintenance on your roof’s gutters to remove blockages. You may find that you have to repair, repaint, or replace your gutters entirely.
Related: Do I Really Need Gutters on My House in Las Vegas?
Types of Damage Backed Up Gutters Can Cause
While roof leaks are a nuisance, they are only one of the many problems that clogged gutters can cause. Here are several of the issues that can occur when you don't regularly clear your gutters of debris.
- 1) A leaking roof: You may notice the water spots before you actually see water. If you have discolorations on your ceiling, you'll want to consult a professional. They may be able to fix the leak before your furniture or floors are damaged.
- 2) Mold in your roof, attic, or walls: Standing water on your roof will eventually turn to mold and can spread to other areas of your house. Mold can cause respiratory illnesses or skin irritations and can worsen allergies. It’s also difficult to detect and very expensive to remove.
- 3) Structural issues: Much of your home is made up of wood and pooling water will weaken it or cause it to rot. Water damage can be expensive to fix and may even destroy your home.
- 4) Weakened foundation: Gutters keep water off the roof and divert it away from the house. The gutter spout is there to direct the water flow so it doesn't pool around the base and weaken the foundation. This type of damage can cost up to $6,000 to fix.
- 5) Shorter roof-life: The average roof can last up to 30 years when properly maintained. Standing water will shorten the life of your roof and cause costly repairs along the way.
- 6) Soggy landscaping: Water that isn't properly diverted can pool in your yard, which can damage your landscaping and kill plant life.
- 7.) Insects: Pooling water can create a breeding ground for mosquitoes and other insects which can invade your home or endanger your family.
What to Do If You Have Roof Leaks from a Clogged Gutter
The first step when you suspect a leak from a clogged gutter is to unclog it. This will allow you to get a better view of what's happening and will prevent the situation from getting any worse while you assess the damage.
Next, you'll need to evaluate the damage. If you see any signs of water damage, you'll want to call a professional roofer immediately. The longer you wait to rectify the issue, the more expensive repairs will become.
In order to protect your home and your family's health, gutters should be cleaned one to two times per year. However, if you get a lot of rain or loose leaves during the fall, you may want to consider cleaning your gutters every three months. If you need assistance, call in a professional who can clean your gutters safely, quickly, and without the hassle.